Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Introduction

World Vision through City Eyes?  What is that about?  In a sentence:  It's experiencing an adventure with World Vision through the perspective of a city-oriented person. At ABBA, Austin Bridge Builder's Alliance, we want see a united Body of Christ, throughout Greater Austin, serving the needs of our city, and its people, such that the city is experiencing the transformational love of God – culturally, socially, and spiritually.  Our efforts focus on connecting the Church community and its resources to the needs of our city/region so that every man, woman and child may SEE and HEAR the compelling message of Christ’s love for them.

I truly believe that by shining a light on critical issues that people face around the world you can also bring resolution to those issues at the local level.  It's like turning a light on in a dark room - it lights the entire room, not just one particular area.  By raising awareness of poverty and hunger, sex trafficking or health needs around the world, the central Texas region can't help but benefit.

Acts 1:8 reads "...and you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere - in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."   I don't see the use of the word "or" in that verse.  I see the word "and".   If we take that to heart, there must be something to the idea of sowing into God's work around the globe that also brings benefit to God's work locally and vice versa.

I invite you to join me through my blog during the next few days as I travel to Swaziland with World Vision and explore the concept of city partnership with them...as I look at the work of World Vision through City Eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment