Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's the Plan, Man?

So today our small band of 'social media-ites' had our last conference call before we meet at the gate on Friday.  And while we don't have all the specifics of our agenda on the ground in Africa, we did get a general game plan.  

Dana shared that World Vision works with their partner communities they to develop a plan for sustainability in 12-18 years.  I think I already mentioned that they focus on food, clean water, health, education and microfinace.  Their goal is for the families and individuals to experience abundant life as described in John 10:10.  World Vision operates 17 of these Area Development Programs (ADPs) in Swaziland, four of which are supported by U.S. donors.  While we are there we will be visiting 3 ADPs (which you can see on the map as the southernmost 3 ADPs):   Maseyisini, Mahlalini and Mhlosheni.      

From what I learned today, each of the 3 we are visiting will represent an ADP at a different phase in the process.  One is fairly new, one is about mid-way into it's plan, and the third is almost complete.  I'll let you know which one is which as I learn (and I'll include some phonetics to help with the pronunciations!).  I'm glad that we will get to see various stages and various issues being addressed.  I'm curious to find out if there are things we can learn - like critical milestones for moving a community forward, or key things to look for that indicate the area is ready to go to the next level.  

As I said, we are on a learning adventure...so Onward Ho!


No comments:

Post a Comment